Can I Get My Diamond Clarity Enhanced?
At Siebke Hoyt, we've been part of your precious moments since 1889, serving as a trusted source of high-quality jewelry. A common question we often receive from our valued clients involves the clarity of their diamonds. Specifically, whether or not it is possible to enhance a diamond's clarity. We're here to demystify this process for you, drawing upon our long-standing history and industry expertise.
What Is Diamond Clarity?
Diamond clarity refers to the absence of inclusions and blemishes. As a key determinant of a diamond's value, clarity can greatly influence a diamond's sparkle and overall appearance. The Gemological Institute of America (GIA) developed a diamond clarity scale, which ranges from Flawless (no inclusions or blemishes visible under 10x magnification) to Included (inclusions and/or blemishes visible to the naked eye).
Common Types of Inclusions and Blemishes
Inclusions are internal flaws, like crystals or clouds, found inside the diamond. Blemishes, on the other hand, are external flaws such as chips or scratches on the surface of the diamond. It's important to note that most diamonds contain these natural imperfections, which contribute to their unique beauty.
What Is Diamond Clarity Enhancement?
Simply put, diamond clarity enhancement refers to processes used to improve a diamond's apparent clarity. There are two common methods: laser drilling and fracture filling. Laser drilling is used to remove dark inclusions, while fracture filling involves injecting a substance into the diamond to make fractures less visible.
Benefits of Diamond Clarity Enhancement
Enhancing the clarity of your diamond may seem like an attractive proposition for several reasons:
- Improved Appearance: A diamond with enhanced clarity can have a more brilliant sparkle and fewer visible flaws.
- Potential Increase in Value: Depending on the diamond, enhancing its clarity may increase its value.
- Cost-Efficient: It is often less expensive to enhance a diamond's clarity than to purchase a naturally high-clarity diamond.
- More Options Within Budget: Clarity enhancement can make higher quality-looking diamonds accessible within your budget.
Drawbacks of Diamond Clarity Enhancement
However, it's crucial to consider the potential drawbacks:
- Changes to the Diamond's Natural State: Some diamond purists prefer the stone's natural state, even with its imperfections.
- Durability: Enhanced diamonds may require special care to prevent damage to the filling material.
- Disclosure and Valuation: Enhanced diamonds must be disclosed as such, which may impact their resale value.
How to Choose Between Natural and Clarity Enhanced Diamonds
The choice between a natural and clarity-enhanced diamond depends on your personal preferences, the diamond's purpose, and your budget. We at Siebke Hoyt believe in providing quality merchandise at a fair price, and our friendly, knowledgeable staff will help guide you through this decision. Don't hesitate to contact us or book an appointment to discuss your options.
How to Care for Clarity Enhanced Diamonds
Like all fine jewelry, clarity-enhanced diamonds require proper care. Avoid exposing them to harsh chemicals or high heat, and consider professional cleaning or maintenance for the best results. Our skilled staff, with an average tenure of eight years, can provide expert care for your valued pieces.
Whether to enhance the clarity of your diamond is a personal decision. It comes with both potential benefits like improved appearance and value, and considerations such as changes to the diamond's natural state and potential durability issues. Our philosophy at Siebke Hoyt is to provide you with the necessary information and guidance to make the decision that best suits your needs and preferences.
We welcome you to explore further on our blog or visit our website.