Since 1889, Siebke Hoyt Jewelers has been a trusted name in the industry, guiding customers on the journey of discovering the most precious gems and understanding their intricate care. The opal, a gem known for its captivating play of color, is no exception. Our friendly, skilled staff with an average tenure of eight years has guided countless customers on how to maintain the opal's radiant beauty. So, let's dive in.
Understanding the Structure of Opals
Opals, with their dazzling display of colors, are not just beautiful; they’re a testament to nature’s artistry. Here’s what makes them so unique:
- Water Content: Opals have a high water content, which contributes to their unique look.
- Play-of-Color: This phenomenon is caused by the diffraction of light off tiny silica spheres in the opal.
Types of Opals: Familiarize yourself with the different types:
- Solid: A single piece of opal.
- Doublet: An opal slice attached to a backing.
- Triplet: Similar to a doublet but with a protective cap on top.
The Dos and Don'ts of Opal Care
Storing them correctly:
- Use soft pouches or lined jewelry boxes.
- Store away from direct sunlight or extreme temperatures to preserve their vibrancy.
Wearing with care:
- Apply lotions, perfumes, and cosmetics before wearing your opal jewelry.
- Wear opal jewelry during less strenuous tasks to avoid damage.
- Mild soapy water and a soft cloth work best.
- Always dry thoroughly after cleaning.
- Keep away from extreme temperature changes and harsh chemicals.
Be cautious when:
- Swimming in pools or salt water.
- Engaging in strenuous activities or dusty environments.
Special Care for Doublets and Triplets
Doublets and triplets, because of their layered structure, need a tad more attention:
- Avoid Prolonged Exposure to Water: Doublets and triplets consist of multiple layers bonded together. Prolonged exposure to water can weaken the adhesive or even cause it to break down, leading to delamination.
- Dry Immediately After Cleaning: If they come into contact with moisture or after a gentle clean, always ensure they're dried immediately.
- Be Gentle with Cleaning Solutions: Always use mild soapy water for cleaning. Harsh chemicals can damage the adhesive or the protective cap on a triplet.
- Avoid Extreme Temperatures: Doublets and triplets are more susceptible to damage from temperature changes. This can cause the layers to expand or contract differently and possibly lead to separation or cracking.
- Store Separately: Store your doublet and triplet opals separately from other jewelry to prevent them from getting scratched or damaged. Using a soft pouch or a fabric-lined jewelry box is ideal.
Regular Professional Check-ups:
Because of their layered structure, it’s wise to have them checked regularly by professionals, like the knowledgeable staff at Siebke Hoyt, to ensure they're in optimal condition.
- Handle with Care: Always handle doublets and triplets by their edges to prevent any pressure or potential damage to the layered surfaces.
- Be Informed: If you're considering purchasing a doublet or triplet, ensure you’re informed about its care requirements. Consulting with experienced staff or gemologists can provide valuable insights.
Importance of Regular Professional Check-ups
At Siebke Hoyt, our long-standing history and experienced staff emphasize the importance of periodic inspections. Schedule a regular check-up here:
- Examine for potential damage or wear.
- Avail of our specialized cleaning solutions to keep your opal shimmering.
Debunking Common Myths about Opal Care
- Opals are unlucky: A mere myth. History shows they've been cherished for centuries.
- Opals can't be cleaned with water: Not entirely true. Just be gentle and thorough.
- Opals shatter easily with light: A baseless concern.
Choosing the Right Setting for Opal Jewelry
The right setting can elevate the beauty of opals:
- Consider protective settings like bezel ones.
- Avoid designs that expose the opal to potential harm.
What to do if your Opal gets Damaged
Mishaps happen. Consult with our seasoned gemologists or jewelers for:
- Professional assessments.
- Re-polishing or resetting services.
The magic of opals is timeless, much like the legacy of Siebke Hoyt Jewelers. Established in 1889, we've consistently offered quality merchandise at fair prices, all while cherishing our family-owned and operated ethos. Entrust us with your jewels, and we promise to offer nothing but the best.
For more insights, visit our blog.